This strawberry cake recipe is perfect to try if you are a beginner and have never baked before ! I have made this eggless strawberry cake recipe without using special baking equipment. Yes !! NO oven, NO moulds, NO special knives !!
Watch the full recipe video –
Strawberry cake recipe without oven – really ??
I have steamed the cake instead of baking it in the oven. So you have a perfectly soft, spongy and moist cake ready within minutes. Now you have no excuse to avoid making this strawberry cake !
I have used curd for baking this cake which is easily available in every Indian Kitchen. If you don’t have a baking tin, you can use any round cooking vessel, just grease it well so that the cake doesn’t stick to it and releases easily.
For this type of layered cake you can use regular vanilla flavoured sponge as the base and then add the fruit fillings/ jam to flavour the cake. I generally avoid using artificial strawberry essence in the sponge as I feel that it overpowers the natural aroma of strawberries and makes the cake taste artificial.
Try and use fresh strawberries for better taste in this strawberry cake recipe. Strawberry cake is perfect to bake when strawberries are in season ! And valentines day is right in the middle of strawberry season in India, so this strawberry cake is a perfect treat to bake for your valentine 🙂 <3 .
I have used non dairy soy based whipping cream as frosting, you can get it easily in frozen form at many baking related specialty stores. If you want you can use fresh double cream (from a local dairy like Parsi dairy or Punjab sind) or Amul whipping cream ( red pack , the blue one wont whip). It is easier to whip and decorate with the non dairy soy cream as it is more stable and easier to work with.
Instead of using premade strawberry crush you can use homemade strawberry jam, here is my recipe.
In Mumbai you can buy all baking supplies from Arife La Moulde. They have shops in Crawford market, Andheri, Borivali, Bandra, Matunga , Vashi and many other places.
If you are not a fruit person and chocolate is more your thing, you can give my eggless chocolate heart cookie recipe a try. Trust me you will not regret it !
To learn how to make Delicious EGGFREE Brownies, Home Baked Bread , and more from me, check out details of my online courses in the following the link :- Click HerePrint
Curd – 80 grams or 1/3 cup
All purpose flour / Maida – 70 grams or ½ cup
Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Sugar – 35 grams or 2 1/2 Tbsp
Refined Oil – 15ml or 1 Tbsp
Vanilla extract 1/4 tsp
Water 2–3 tbsp
FOR FINAL CAKE ASSEMBLY
Fresh strawberries – 150 – 200 gms
Strawberry crush/ jam – 2 Tbsp
Non dairy whipping cream – 150 gms
FOR THE SOAKING SYRUP
Hot water – 50 ml or 1/4th cup
Sugar – 30 gm or 2 Tbsp
Strawberry jam/ syrup – 1.5 Tbsp
- Add sugar, oil , Vanilla extract to the curd and mix well till all the sugar dissolves.
- Then add the baking powder and baking soda and whisk till the mixture is foamy.
- Add the flour in the curd mix and adjust thickness with water. It should be thick and flowy but not scoop able.
- Grease a 5 inch cake pan with melted butter or oil, dust some flour on it and shake off the excess.
- Pour the batter in the pan , tap it on the counter 2 – 3 times.
- Cover it with aluminum foil so that the cake batter doesn’t come in direct contact with steam. Poke 4-5 small holes in the foil so that the moisture released from the cake while baking doesn’t collect on the surface of the foil. If big drops of water fall onto the cake batter while cooking it may cause the cake to bake unevenly or sink at the centre.
- In a large pan with a lid, boil water till it is steaming. Place a ring at the bottom. Put the cake pan on the ring and cover the pan with a lid.
- Steam for 15- 20 mins. Since this is a steamed cake, overbaking is not an issue. If you are unsure about doneness you can extend cooking time by 5-7 mins more.
- Remove the cake from the tin onto a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
- For the soaking syrup , mix sugar, hot water & strawberry syrup/ jam. Cool completely before using.
- Chop 6-7 strawberries finely and mix some sugar. This will make them sweat and release juice. You can use this juice to soak the sponge while layering. It is important to macerate the strawberries before layering them in the cake, this will prevent them from leaking in between the layers. It will also stop the cake layers from slipping.
- Defrost the frozen whipping cream for 10-15 mins and beat till volume triples in size. It will take 10-12 mins with an electric hand mixture. This cream is vanilla flavoured and sweetened. But if you wish you can add a few drops of vanilla essence and icing sugar to taste.
TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE
- Divide the cake horizontally in 3 equal layers. Use a sharp knife.
- Mark the 3 layers on the edges of the cake lightly all around the circumference of the cake. Place one hand on the top of the sponge and with the other hand slowly drag the knife inwards and slice it using back and forth motion while slowly rotating the cake (using the hand on top of the sponge). Try and hold the knife parallel to the kitchen counter top.For better understanding please watch the video.
- Soak the sponge generously with the strawberry soaking solution and apply a thin layer of cream. Top it with jam and macerated strawberries. Use the middle layer of the sponge for this step.
- Follow this for the remaining 2 layers. Use the rounded top of the sponge as the middle layer and the flat cake bottom as the final layer.
- Do not soak the final layer, as it will prevent easy application of cream on top.
- Then cover the whole cake with whipped cream. Try to smoothen it as best as possible. You can dip your knife in hot water to achieve neater finish. For better understanding please watch the video.
- Decorate the cake with chopped strawberries. Chill for atleast 2-3 hours before serving.
- If you dont have baking pan, use any steel vessel. Just grease and dust it well.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the sponge if you dont have a serrated knife.
- To apply the whipped cream and frost the cake I have used a butter knife instead of a palette knife.
Keywords: strawberry cake , eggless strawberry cake, no oven cake, easy strawberry cake