On the other hand, the Brussels waffle is made with a yeast batter. A loose batter made using flour, eggs yolks and yeast is left to rise till light and fluffy. It is made even lighter with whipped egg whites and then cooked on a hot iron. It is literally melt in the mouth because it is leavened with yeast and whipped egg whites both. It is crispy on the outside and oh so delicate and melt in the mouth, Its truly a delight to eat with just some powdered sugar and a dollop of cream. Nothing fancy schmancy is needed to amp this baby up. As it is very obvious by now this is also my favourite kind of waffle !
There are many other styles of cooking and recipes depending on the region for eg. Flemish waffles, stroopwafels , etc. but the Liege and Brussels waffles are most popular.
But the type of waffles we mostly find here in India is inspired from the American version of waffles, like a lot of other things duh ! (think pizza). They are made without using yeast and are instead leavened using baking powder. So this recipe that I’m sharing is my eggless spin to an American waffle.
P.S.- The best waffles I have ever tasted in my life are at Waffle factory on rue du Lombard near Manneken Pis. Give it adekko if you ever travel to Brussels.
You can also try my recipe of Mango Kulfi , If you are in mood for something other than chocolate !!
To learn how to make Delicious EGGFREE Brownies, Home Baked Bread , and more from me, check out details of my online courses in the following the link :- Click HerePrint
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Curd- 120gms
- Milk powder-20gms
- All purpose flour- 90 gms
- Cornflour- 10gms
- Rice flour- 20gms
- Refined oil/ Melted butter- 2 tbsp/ 30ml
- Salt- 1/4tsp
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- Baking powder- 3/4tsp
- Soda bi carb- 1/2 tsp
- In a bowl, mix curd ,sugar and milk powder till well dissolved.
- Add in the vanilla extract, salt, baking powder, soda bi carb, oil and whisk well.
- Add in the all purpose flour, corn flour and rice flour . Adjust consistency with a little water if desired.
- Pre heat the waffle iron and oil it well. Then pour in the batter and cook for 8-10 mins. Most waffle machines don’t have timing indicators so check for doneness after 8 minutes or so. when waffle will be cooked it will start releasing smell.
- Once it is cooked till desired colour, remove it carefully with the help of tongs. Cool it for 2-3 mins by lightly flipping from side to side. This step is important to crisp up the exterior of the waffle.
- Serve warm with accompaniment of choice – Nutella, fruits, icecream, whipped cream, maple syrup, caramel etc.
FOR CHOCOLATE WAFFLES:-
All purpose flour – 75 gms
Cocoa powder- 15gms
Corn flour- 5gms
All other ingredients remain the same.
This batter doesn’t keep well when refrigerated for more than 3-4 hours so make it fresh when you plan to make waffles.
To view this waffle recipe in hindi:
Leave a Reply