How to make Mumbai style veg cheese grilled sandwich at home
It is impossible to get Mumbai style sandwich anywhere else in the world ! I kid you not. The spicy chutney and typical sandwich masala is so unique to Mumbai. The crispy grilled bread slathered with a generous amount of amul butter is to die for !
Watch the full recipe here –
My Mumbai style veg cheese grilled sandwich recipe will satisfy all your street food pangs for sure!
The star of this recipe is the spicy green chutney and red garlic chutney along with the sandwich masala and I have shown you how to make all three at home.
I firmly believe that a great chutney will make a great sandwich and lack lustre chutney will make a meh sandwich ☹!! after years of tasting and trying veg cheese grilled sandwich at different stalls I have zeroed in on a few who I feel make the best ones. I have tried to recreate my favourite shop’s chutney in this veg cheese grilled sandwich recipe.
Usually green chutney is thickened with either chana or peanuts but this one is thickened with bread and boiled potato and that’s what makes it’s texture quite thick and luscious.
If you are from Mumbai suburbs then there is a very famous sandwich stall called lucky sandwich near vile parle station west. I absolutely love his chutney and grilled sandwich and I’ve tried to recreate that. If you ever travel this side then do try his stuff out, till then enjoy this homemade version 😊.
Other than preparing the chutney the recipe of veg cheese grilled sandwich is quite straightforward and quick. Its perfect as a snack or an easy dinner meal !
In Mumbai style veg cheese grilled sandwich, typically triangle breads are used but if you cant find them then go ahead and use regular square breads.
To learn bread baking professionally you can also join my online bread baking course. Where I have covered lots of bread recipes like sandwich bread, multigrain bread, 100% wholewheat bread,etc and also provide complete after class support and guidance. You will find more details here.
To learn how to make Delicious EGGFREE Brownies, Home Baked Bread , and more from me, check out details of my online courses in the following the link :- Click HerePrint
make Mumbai style veg cheese grilled sandwich at home !
Green chutney –
White bread – 3 slices
Green chilly – 3
Boiled potato – ½
Lime juice – ½
Ginger – a small piece
Garlic – 1 clove
Fresh Coriander – 1 cup,
Red chutney –
Small Garlic cloves – 15-16
bread slices – 3
salt – to taste
roasted cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
roasted coriander seeds – 1/2 tsp
lemon juice – 1/2 lemon
red chilly powder – 2tsp
oil – 1 Tbsp
sandwich masala –
Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
garam masala – ½ tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – ¼ tsp
Dry ginger powder – 1/8 tsp
Black pepper powder – ½ tsp
- to make the green chutney , mix all the ingredients with little water in a grinder jar.
- Mix all the powders to make sandwich masala.
- Mix all the ingredients with water in a mixer jar to make red chutney.
- use triangle breads if available if not the u can use regular white bread.
- first apply butter , then chutney. Arrange tomato slices, then top with capsicum dices. sprinkle sandwich masala.
- now place another buttered bread on it, butter side down. Then apply butter and chutney on the side facing up.
- place potato slices , top with onion pieces and grated cheese if u wish. sprinkle sandwich masala.
- cover with another bread slice. and apply butter on top.
- Heat a sandwich grill machine and place the sandwich in it. Close and cook till crispy !