This recipe for Coconutty NICE biscuits is a sure shot winner , it is eggless and so yummy , you will keep making it again and again !!
All-Purpose Flour – 2 cups or 240 gms
Powdered Sugar – ½ cup packed or 100 gms
Milk powder – 3 Tbsp
Desiccated Coconut – ½ cup + 1 Tbsp or 50 gms
Baking powder – ¾ tsp
Butter – 100 gms, Makkhan
Vanilla essence – ¼ tsp
Cold Water – 4- 4.5 Tbsp
- Sieve together the powdered sugar and all-purpose flour. Don’t skip this step as powdered sugar has lots of small hard granules which will not melt easily and kneading the dough will get difficult.
- Then add the milk powder, baking powder and desiccated coconut to the all-purpose flour mix.
- Now take very cold butter and cut it into cubes.
- Add it to the flour and rub till it becomes well mixed with all the flour. It should resemble bread crumbs. Work fast at this stage, we want the butter to be mixed with the flour but don’t want it to melt completely in the dough.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix well again.
- Use very cold water to form the dough. You don’t have to knead this dough for very long. Once everything comes together and forms a ball, it is done.
- Flatten it into a rectangle of about 1-inch thickness. Place it on a tray and chill for 20 -25mins. It should be covered in the fridge so that it doesn’t dry up or doesn’t take up the smell of other foods in the fridge
- Dust some flour on the platform and roll it to the thickness of 3-4 mm. try to keep the shape as a rectangle as possible, to avoid wastage while cutting.
- Using a curly blade knife or pizza cutter, cut the biscuits in approximately 4.5 By 5.5cm dimensions. This is the size of the actual NICE biscuits available in the market.
- Using a toothpick, poke holes to mimic the pattern on NICE biscuits.
- Apply some water on the surface of the biscuit with a wet pastry brush. Don’t make them too wet.
- Sprinkle sugar on top and press it lightly so that it sticks to the biscuit well.
- Preheat the oven at 200 C for 15 mins. Then bake the biscuits for 7-8 mins. Rotate the tray at 4 mins so that they brown evenly.
- Once they are out of the oven, cool them completely on the baking tray. Move them around or flip them once they are slightly cool to handle. This is to prevent condensation at the bottom which may soften the biscuits.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 weeks.