- Tomatoes- 350gms or 4 medium sized
- Onion- 50 gms or 1 small sized
- Garlic – 10gms or 3 medium cloves
- Ginger- 10gms or 1.5inch
- Bay leaves- 2
- Green cardamom- 2
- Star anise- 1 small
- Clove- 6-7
- Cinnamon- 1 inch
- Mace- 1
- Soaked cashews- 10-12. Soak in warm water for half an hour.
- Homemade cream- 2 Tbsp
- Kashmiri chilly powder- 1 Tbsp or Whole kashmiri chillies- 4
- Ghee- 1 Tbsp
- Butter- 1Tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Garam masala- 1/2 tsp heaped
- Ketchup- 1 Tbsp
- Roasted cumin powder-1/2 tsp
- Kasuri methi- 1tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/8 tsp
- Cardamom powder- 1/8 tsp
- Sugar- 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Malai (soft paneer-100gms.)
- In a pressure cooker, cook together the tomatoes, onion,garlic,ginger and all the whole spices with a little water for 4-5 whistles.
- Once it cools down , remove all the the whole spices and discard them. Grind the cooked tomatoes with the soaked cashews, chilly powder and cream untill a smooth homogenous paste is formed. Do not used all the water that is left with the tomatoes as it may make the gravy too runny.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat some ghee and butter. add in the cumin seeds. let them sizzle and then add in the gravy.
- Add in the cumin powder, garam masala, salt,sugar, turmeric and cardamom powder. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Then add in the tomato ketchup and kasuri methi. Cook for another 10-12 mins till some of the water evaporates.
- Finally add in the paneer that is cut into cubes. Simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve with some hot parathas or naan .
If you wish you can cook unsoaked cashews and whole chilly with the tomatoes in the pressure cooker.
This recipe is very mild. You can add in 1-2 green chillies in the gravy to kick up the spiciness.