Marinated and grilled succulent paneer pieces in a spicy creamy smoked gravy
For the marinade –
Curd – 200 gms
Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
Kashmiri Chilly Powder – 2 tsp
Tandoori Chicken/paneer Masala – 1 tsp + ¼ tsp
Garam Masala Powder – ¼ tsp
Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Ginger paste – 1tsp
Mustard oil – ½ tsp
Salt – To taste
Paneer – 250 gms
For The Gravy –
Onions – 400gms – 420gms or 6-7 medium
Tomatoes – 90 gms or 1 large
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Cinnamon –1 inch
Bay leaves – 2
Cloves – 6 – 7
Green cardamom – 2
Black Cardamom – 1
Star anise – 1
small Mace – 1
small piece Cashews – 8
For the final tempering –
Oil – 2-3 Tbsp
Ginger paste – 1.5 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – ½ tsp
Tandooori Chicken/paneer masala – 1 tsp
Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Cut the onions and capsicum in big square pieces. Cut the tomatoes also in big square pieces and remove the internal juicy part.
- Add all the ingredients for the marinade into the curd. Whisk well. Raw mustard oil has a very unique flavour and is a must for that authentic restaurant style taste.
- Add the paneer pieces and vegetables to the curd and marinate for atleast 2-3 hours in the fridge. Marinating overnight would be better for more flavour.
- Now dunk all the ingredients for that gravy in the pressure cooker. Cook for 5 whistles.
- After the pressure releases naturally, remove and discard all the big spices like cardamom, bay leaves, black cardamom, cloves and cinnamon. Make a fine paste of the cooked onion tomato mix.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add the ginger and garlic paste . saute till raw smell goes off. Now add all the dry spices. Cook till their aroma is released. To avoid burning of spices you can switch off the gas while adding them. As soon as they release aroma, add water. Cover and cook till oil is released on top.
- Then add the onion paste. Cook for 8 mins.
- Then add the remaining curd marinade. Whisk well. Cook for another 5 mins. Cover and cook to avoid splattering as the gravy bubbles quite a lot while cooking.
- Lastly add some kasuri methi, salt and lemon juice for seasoning.
- Now skewer the paneer, capsicum, onion and tomatoes in wooden sticks that have been soaked in water for atleast 2 hours to prevent them from catching fire. Grill the paneer on gas till it becomes charred on all sides.
- Add the grilled paneer and veggies to the gravy.
- Now lastly heat a small piece of coal on open flame till it is red hot. Put in in a small container and place that container on the gravy. Add a dollop of butter on this hot coal and quickly cover the gravy pan as the coal begins to smoke. Let the gravy absorb this smoke for 5 mins. Then discard the coal piece and melted butter.
- Enjoy the gravy hot !!