This homemade strawberry jam is to die for !
I have Made it using fresh, seasonal and organic strawberries straight from the heart of Maharashtra’s strawberry land aka Mahabaleshwar . This strawberry jam recipe is a “reduced sugar” recipe
Watch this strawberry jam recipe in english :-
Because it contains less than half the quantity of sugar v/s fruit. Commercial jams contain almost 60-65 % sugar. It does not need any preservative or artificial colour so its super healthy and safe to serve to kids for breakfast.
Most commercial jam is thickened using pectin which requires high quantity of sugar to gel( thats the reason why some homemade recipes also call for equal sugar to fruit ratio). These jams also contain so much sugar to add bulk to the recipe which in turn reduces the cost of the jam. A lot of these jams are made from preserved fruit juice instead of chunks of whole fruit or even fruit puree so the taste and flavour profile is quite weak. A lot of flavouring agents and colouring agents are added to make these jams more palatable and attractive. They also contain a lot of preservatives to increase the shelf life.
I have made this strawberry jam with medium sized chunks of strawberries making it a very pulpy and chunky jam.It does not contain ANY artificial essence so the flavour is just mind blowing.
I am thickening this strawberry jam with carrageenan powder and agar agar powder instead of pectin . They are 100% natural gelling agents (hydrocolloids) and made from seaweed. They are used extensively in vegan and vegetarian gelatin free dessert recipes . You can buy them easily from any cake decor supply store here in India or even online.
Because it contains less sugar the flavour of the fruit really shines through in this strawberry jam – it is chunky but spreadable and it doesn’t become too tough or gloopy in the fridge. It is so versatile to use – You can spread it over bread,toast, rotis or parathas. It will also work well as a filling in cakes and pies. I have never been a jam person (more of a toast+ butter+ ketchup person) but this jam is so yummy, it just might convert me !
If you have liked this recipe you can also try my Mango Kulfi recipe !!
To learn how to make Delicious EGGFREE Brownies, Home Baked Bread , and more from me, check out details of my online courses in the following the link :- Click HerePrint
Strawberry jam – Reduced sugar
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Strawberries – 750 gms
- Sugar – 350gms
- Agar agar powder- 1tsp
- Carrageenan powder – 1tsp
- Water – 2-3 tbsp
- Wash and clean the berries thoroughly.
- Chop them into medium sized chunks. remove any soft or mushy parts from the strawberry.
- Mix in all the sugar and let it rest for 1-2 hours. You will see that the berries will start releasing water and the sugar will begin to dissolve in it.
- Put this mixture on very low heat in a heavy bottomed pan.
- After all the sugar dissolves increase the flame to medium high and let the jam boil for 15-20 mins. Do not stir frequently, it may result in sugar crystallisation.
- Keep removing the scum from the surface of the jam with the hep of a spoon.
- Take the agar agar and carrageenan powder in a bowl and add in the water. stir vigorously tile they are well hydrated and become gel- like.
- Add the mix into the jam and stir well. boil for another 8-10 mins.
- To check for doneness take a spoon from the jam onto a chilled plate (chilled in the freezer for 15-20mins) and let it cool completely. if you feel that the jam is not sliding too much,fruit is suspended well in the jam and it’s not to runny then your strawberry jam is ready.
Chill for atleast 8-10 hours in the fridge before use.
Can last in the fridge for upto 5-6 months.
Watch this strawberry jam recipe in hindi :-
Can I ask why both agar and carrageenan?
Hasti Goradia says
carrageenan and agar form different types of gel. Agar forms a brittle jelly while carrageenan forms a smooth aloe vera type gel. By using both setting agents I have tried to create the texture of jam that pectin would lend.
Very good recipe. I fortunately had both agar agar and carrageenan at hand. Looks and tastes great. Thank you 🙂
Hasti Goradia says
thanks , Im glad you liked the recipe. 🙂