VEG AU GRATIN - VEGETABLE BAKED DISH
- Butter- 2tbsp
- All purpose flour- 1 tbsp
- Milk- 200ml/ 1 cup
- Garlic- 1 clove
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- Cheese cube- 1.5 or cheese spread- 3 tbsp + 1 cube for topping
- Crushed pepper to taste
- Bread crumbs- toast 4-5 slices of bread and then crush in a food processor.
- Diced vegetables- carrots french beans, potato,peas,broccoli,mushroom and cauliflower.
- Add butter in a heavy bottom pan. Once it has melted add in the flour.
- Cook till the flour bubbles. It will change colour to white and will start to look as if fried. Cook till it starts to give off a roasted smell. Keep stirring contnously. you dont want to burn the flour or cook till it changes colour.
- Then slowly add in the milk, stirring continously all the while.Dont allow it to settle and stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook till the milk thickens then add in the salt,nutmeg and cheese. season with pepper.
- Steam the vegetables in a steamer till they are par cooked.Now add the diced vegetables in the sauce and mix well.
- Remove into bake safe ramekins or glass dish and top with bread crumbs and grated cheese.
- Bake at 180 degree Celsius till the top is golden brown.
View this veg au gratin recipe in english:-