Veg Baked Dish
White sauce was a novelty so this dish was not frequently made at home. Veg au gratin was obviously very fancy and therefore 10 year old Hasti’s choice of order whenever we went out for dinner.I remember pestering my mother to make this veg baked dish at home for my birthday. The creamy vegetable and white sauce combo with the crunchy cheese top was my absolute favourite ( This was before pizzas were popular) .
VEG AU GRATIN – VEGETABLE BAKED DISH
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Butter- 2tbsp
- All purpose flour- 1 tbsp
- Milk- 200ml/ 1 cup
- Garlic- 1 clove
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- Cheese cube- 1.5 or cheese spread- 3 tbsp + 1 cube for topping
- Crushed pepper to taste
- Bread crumbs- toast 4-5 slices of bread and then crush in a food processor.
- Diced vegetables- carrots (french beans, potato,peas,broccoli,mushroom and cauliflower.)
- Add butter in a heavy bottom pan. Once it has melted add in the flour.
- Cook till the flour bubbles. It will change colour to white and will start to look as if fried. Cook till it starts to give off a roasted smell. Keep stirring contnously. you dont want to burn the flour or cook till it changes colour.
- Then slowly add in the milk, stirring continously all the while.Dont allow it to settle and stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook till the milk thickens then add in the salt,nutmeg and cheese. season with pepper.
- Steam the vegetables in a steamer till they are par cooked.Now add the diced vegetables in the sauce and mix well.
- Remove into bake safe ramekins or glass dish and top with bread crumbs and grated cheese.
- Bake at 180 degree Celsius till the top is golden brown.
View this veg au gratin recipe in hindi:-
Leave a Reply